The Best Binary Options Broker 2020!
Perfect For Beginners and Middle-Leveled Traders!
Free Demo Account.
Get Your Sign-Up Bonus Now!
Recommended Only For Experienced Traders!
Binary Options Strategies
Here are collected the most accurate and profitable binary options strategies. As always, all systems for binary options trading on this website can be downloaded for free. I hope each of you will find a strategy for yourself here.
Binary Options Day Trading in Russia 2020
Binary options trading hinges on a simple question – will the underlying asset be above or below a certain price at a specified time? If so, you can make substantial profits with one of the most straightforward financial instruments to trade. But what exactly are binary options, and what are their benefits and drawbacks? This page will answer those questions, as well as detailing how to start day trading binary options, including strategies, tips, and regional differences to be aware of. Use the broker top list to compare the best binary brokers for day trading in Russia 2020.
Binary Brokers in Russia
What Are Binary Options?
Firstly, let’s have a look at how it all works. Put simply, binary options are a derivative that can be traded on any instrument or market. They appeal because they are straightforward. You know precisely how much you could win, or lose before you make the trade. No complex maths and calculator is required. This is why they are also known as ‘all or nothing’ trades.
If you anticipate news announcements, quarterly reviews, or global trends, then you may be able to make an accurate determination as to whether the price is going to increase or decline at a certain point in the future, turning a profit.
There is a whole host of derivatives to choose between. You can trade binary options on commodity value, such as aluminium and crude oil. You can opt for a stock price, such as Amazon and Facebook. There are foreign exchange rate options, including all the major and minor pairs. Even cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin are on the menu.
A Brief History
If you want to start trading binary options full-time, a detailed understanding of their origins will help. Binary or ‘digital’ options have been around for decades. Originally though, it was only large institutions and the fabulously wealthy that had access. However, 2008 saw the US Securities and Exchange Commission open the floodgates by allowing binary options to be traded through an exchange.
The internet and technology have since given the whole world access to these ‘digital’ options. As it stands, with low barriers to entry for savvy day traders and a simple to understand preposition, the demand for these digital trades will only increase.
There are a number of different option types to choose from. The most popular types are listed in the brief glossary below.
- Up/Down (High/Low) – The most simple and prevalent binary option. Will the price be higher or lower than the current price when the expiry time comes?
- In/Out (Range or Boundary) – A ‘high’ and ‘low’ figure will be set. You are then making a determination as to whether the price will finish within or outside of these boundaries.
- Touch/No Touch – Levels will be set that are either higher or lower than the current price. You then enter a position as to whether the price will ‘touch’ these levels between the time of trade and expiry. Payout will come as soon as the touch takes place.
- Ladder – These are similar to up/down trades. However, instead of using the current price, the ladder will have pre-determined levels that are staggered up or down. These normally demand a substantial price move. The flip side of this is returns will frequently exceed 100%. Although it is worth noting, both sides of a trade are not always available.
Another important component of binary options is expiry times. This is when the trade will end and the point that determines whether you have won or lost. These times can range from 30 seconds and 1 minute (turbos) to a full day (end of day), and even up to a whole year.
As an intraday trader though, you will be more concerned with trading 5 and 30-minute binary options. Opt for binaries with 1 minute expiry times though and you have the ability to make a high number of trades in a single day.
Is Trading Binary Options Legal?
Despite the somewhat negative reputation, the reality is binary options are legal. The majority of companies operate fairly. Opinions have been split because there are some out there that operate scams.
The Best Binary Options Broker 2020!
Perfect For Beginners and Middle-Leveled Traders!
Free Demo Account.
Get Your Sign-Up Bonus Now!
Recommended Only For Experienced Traders!
Regulation in certain regions has meant binaries have been withdrawn from the retail market. In the EU for example. But professional traders can still use them. In regions such as India and Australia, binary are legal – but traders should make sure they use a reputable broker, and read our section below on avoiding scams.
Scams & Frauds
The binary reputation has suffered from dishonest marketing and cybercrime. Too many unregulated brokers promise quick cash, whilst operating frauds. Regulators are on the case and this concern should soon be alleviated.
Binaries themselves are perfectly legitimate, but steer clear of ‘instant money’ promises, brokers that cold call, and celebrity endorsements, plus any claims that you can ‘start trading binary options for free’.
So it isn’t a question good or bad, it’s simply a question of being alert to the dangers and knowing what to look out for. If you’re unsure about a broker, ask the question in a live trading room to check they’re properly regulated.
Binary Options Vs CFD Trading
Although in some ways similar, there remain some crucial differences between binary options and CFDs. With CFDs, you have potentially unlimited risk. If the price of the asset moves significantly, the value of the trade can grow very large, very quickly – for better or worse.
Whereas binary options work slightly differently. Whilst you are still investing without owning the asset in question, the gain and loss rate is fixed. With a call option, it doesn’t matter if the price rockets, you retain the same percentage as if it rose by just a couple of pips.
Likewise, if the price sinks to zero, you’ll only lose what you put in. So, to define the difference – with binary options you get fixed risk.
Having said that, just as if it was binary options versus forex trading, you are restrained in your profit potential.
Why Trade Binary Options?
If you want to profit trading binary options, you need to first understand both their pros and cons. You need to make sure binary options will suit your trading style, risk tolerance, and capital requirements.
There is a whole host of attractive benefits to trading with binary options. The greatest advantages have been outlined below.
- Simplicity – Because you are making a determination on only one factor, direction, your bet is straightforward. The price can only go up or down. You also don’t need to concern yourself with when the trade will end, the expiry time takes care of that. Whereas in other markets, you may need a system to limit your losses, such as a stop-loss.
- Fixed risk – Trade stocks, gold, and crude oil and you’ve got a vast number of factors to contend with, from slippage and margin to news events and price re-quotes. With binaries, your risk is kept to a minimum with far fewer parameters.
- Trade control – Because you know what you may make or lose before you enter the trade, you have greater control from the start. Trade in stocks, for example, and you have no guarantee that your trade will make the entry price.
- Profit potential – Compared to other trading, the returns in binaries are extremely attractive. Some brokerages promise payouts of up to 90% on a single trade. If you’re looking to make simple trades with large profit potential, binaries could well be worth a look in.
- Choice – Rather than being constrained to a specific market, e.g. cryptocurrency or stocks, binary options gift traders the opportunity to trade instruments across virtually all markets, allowing you start currency, indices, and bonds trading if you so wish.
- Accessibility –In the binary options game, it’s always the best trading hours somewhere on the globe. So, you can login at night, or on the weekends and join the groups of avid traders attempting to turn daily profits. Real-time charts are available for every market so if you’ve got the time you can invest 24 hours a day.
Whilst there are plenty of reasons to delve into trading on binary options, there remain several downsides worth highlighting:
- Reduced trading odds – Whilst you can benefit from trades that offer in excess of 80% payouts, these are often when the expiry date is some time away from the trade date. If the odds of your binary trade succeeding are extremely high you may have to make do with reduced payout odds.
- Limited trading tools – Whilst most brokerages offer advanced charting and analysis capabilities, trading tools for binary traders often fall short of the mark. Fortunately, there are other online sources for these graphs and tools, plus brokers are working swiftly to increase their offerings.
- Price of losing – Your odds are tilted in favour of losing trades. Approximately for every 70% profit, the corresponding loss of the same trade would result in an 85% loss. This means you need a win percentage of at least 55% to break-even.
- Risk management – Unlike other markets, brokers often set a trading floor, with minimum accounts a trader needs to enter the market. This means losing capital can happen with ease. Whilst a stocks broker may permit you to open an account with $250, trading micro-lots, most binary brokers won’t allow $50 trades. So, even with $250 in your account, just five trades that don’t go your way could see you sink into the red.
Binary Trading via Mobile App
How Does Trading Binary Options Work?
Trading binary options for beginners is straightforward. Simply follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1 – Find a broker
This is one of the most important decisions you will make. You need a broker that meets all your requirements and who will enhance your trade performance. But with so many options out there, how do you know what to look for?
If you’re high-frequency binary trading each day, the commission fees and costs will quickly rack up. You want to maximise your profits so look for brokers with a competitive and transparent fee structure, and remember, different asset classes pay out different amounts.
One point worth investigating is rules around minimum deposits. Whilst some brokers will offer binary options trading with no minimum deposit, many will expect a deposit of close to $50, and some $100. A broker offering low minimum deposits is ideal if you’re strapped for cash. Trading binary with JC and GCI are good choices if you’re looking for low deposits.
Some brokers will specialise in certain assets. If you’re set on crude oil, it may be worth finding a broker that’s geared towards those binaries. You may benefit from relevant news feeds and the most prudent option choices available. Trading binary stocks with 212, for example, is ideal for those interested in stocks.
With scams out there it’s important you check your broker is properly regulated by the relevant financial body, e.g. FCA, CySec, CFTC. Trading with 247 Binary Options, IQ option, and Binary.com are all safe bets.
Binary options platforms are your gateway to the market and where you’ll spend many hours a day. There are now many online trading platforms, so, make sure it’s easy to use and offers all the charts, patterns and tools you need to make smart and accurate trade decisions. For example, will you be trading binary options with candlesticks or more obscure charts?
Both Keystone and Nadex offer strong binary options trading platforms, as does MT4. Before you buy, conduct a thorough trading platform comparison and check reviews.
Any problem could cost you time, and as an intraday trader, time can cost you serious cash. So, check the broker offers reliable support. Some brokers will offer 24/7 customer support through calls, live chat, and in a number of languages. Binary options trading with Etrade and 24 Option are smart moves if you want top quality support.
A growing number of people use mobile devices and tablets to enhance their trading experience. However, software for trading binary options varies hugely. So, it’s worth checking whether your broker offers cross-platform capabilities. Also, check the charting tools you need will work on your iOS or Android device. Binary options trading with IQ Option, for example, offers fantastic trading apps.
Many brokers will sweeten the deal with some useful add-ons. Some may offer free trading plans, courses, and lessons. So, find out first if they offer free courses online to enhance your trading performance. Some brokers will also offer free binary trading trials so you can try before you buy.
You could also benefit from trading bonuses, tips, the best strategy and trading signals reviews, plus free, practice demo accounts. Not to mention some brokers allow for binary options trading using Paypal. However, don’t be put off by no binary options trading deposit bonus, these can be a sign of potential scams.
For newbies, getting to grips with a demo account first is a sensible idea. Funded with simulated money, you can try numerous assets and options. It’s the perfect place to make mistakes and learn before you put real capital on the line. In addition, you’ll find most free binary options demo accounts require no deposit, so you can start practicing whilst you save that initial capital.
There is no universal best broker, it truly depends on your individual needs. Some brokers offer minimum trades of just a couple of pounds, whilst others require hundreds or even thousands. The solution – do your homework first.
For more guidance on making the right choice, see our brokers page.
Step 2 – Choose An Instrument/Market
You can trade binaries in pretty much everything, including stocks, forex, indices, and commodities. You can bet on anything from the price of natural gas, to the stock price of Google. Opt for an asset you have a good understanding of, that offers promising returns.
Step 3 – Decide On An Expiry Time
As a short-term trader, you’ll probably be more interested in 30 seconds, 1 minute and end of day expiry times. You need to balance binary options trading volume with price movement. Whilst the more trades you make means greater profit potential, it’s better to make fewer and more accurate trades. Also, find a time that compliments your trading style.
Step 4 – Decide On Size
In the binary options game, size does matter. The greater your investment the greater the possible profit. On the flip side, remember the entirety of your investment is on the line. You need an effective money management system that will enable you to make sufficient trades whilst still protecting you from blowing all your capital.
Step 5 – Choose An Option
You will have any number of the options outlined above to choose from. Think carefully about how confident you are in your determination. Consider factors that will jeopardise your investment, and select an option that gives you the best chance of succeeding. Don’t automatically select a ladder trade because you want huge returns, consider which options are the relatively safe bets.
Once you’ve made that decision, check and confirm your trade. Then you can sit back and wait for the trade payout.
Below is a video explaining how to trade binary options on the platform of a leading provider:
Binary trading strategies will differ from trade to trade. What may work for a ladder option in forex, may prove useless in a range option on gold. Having said that, there are two reasons you must have a strategy.
Firstly, a strategy prevents emotions interfering in trade decisions. Fear, greed, and ambition can all lead to errors. A strategy allows you to focus on the maths and data.
Secondly, a strategy allows you to repeat profitable trade decisions. Once you’ve found out how and why that binary option worked, you can replicate it to create consistent profits.
Building A Strategy
There are two crucial elements to your binary options trading method, creating a signal, and deciding how much to trade. The second is essentially money management. How do you go about determining these two steps then?
Step 1 – Creating A Signal
The signal will tell you in which direction the price is going to go, allowing you to make a prediction ahead of time. The two main ways to create signals are to use technical analysis, and the news.
Charts, Patterns & Indicators
If you can identify patterns in your charts, you may be able to predict future price movements. They rest on the idea that ‘history repeats itself’. You can start trading binary options using Heiken-ashi, other candlesticks, and line charts. Armed with charts and patterns, successful traders will build a strategy around their findings.
You can then build indicators into your strategy, telling you when to make a binary option, and which binary option you should go for. These technical tools can prove invaluable, so make sure your broker offers the features available to conduct thorough market analysis.
One of the great things about trading binary is you can use any number of your normal indicators, patterns, and tools to help predict future binary options movements. So, you can start trading with/using:
- Support and resistance levels
- Price action
- Stochastic oscillators
- MACD indicators
- Options close to expiry
For more detailed guidance, see our charts and patterns pages.
You can trade binary options without technical indicators and rely on the news. The benefit of the news is that it’s relatively straightforward to understand and use. You’ll need to look for company announcements, such as the release of financial reports. Alternatively, look for more global news that could impact an entire market, such as a move away from fossil fuels. Small announcements can send prices rocketing or plummeting.
If you can stay in the know you can trade your binary options before the rest of the market catches on. To do that you’ll need to be tuned into a range of news sources. You can browse online and have the TV or radio on in the background. Some of the most useful news sources in terms of trading information are:
- Yahoo Finance
- Business Insider
- Financial Times
Step 2 – How Much You Should Trade
If you’re just starting off it’s often best to keep things simple. Trading the same amount on each trade until you find your feet is sensible. Below are 3 binary options trading strategies for both beginners and experienced traders.
Binary options using the martingale trading strategy aim to recover losses as quickly as possible. To do this you’d trade larger amounts of money in the trades following a loss. So, you’d set an amount that you trade each time, say $250. However, if you lose on that $250, you’d bet $500 on the next trade. If the trade wins, you’ll already be back in the black, rather than being stuck around the break-even mark.
The problem with this strategy is that if you go on a losing streak you can lose a serious amount of capital in a short space of time. So, only use this strategy if you’ve got a relatively accurate means of making trade decisions. If you’re still in the trial and error stage, consider a different approach.
A percentage based system is popular amongst both binary options traders and other traders. The idea is you specify a percentage you’re willing to risk. Between 1-2% is common. So, if you’ve got $10,000 in your account, and your risk value was 2%, you could trade $200 on a single trade.
If you have a greater risk tolerance and consistent results you may want to increase that risk margin to 5%. The benefit of this system is that you should never lose more than you can afford. This makes it an ideal approach to take if you’re new to trading on binary options.
This example is best employed during periods of high volatility and just before the break of important news announcements. This technique can be utilised by traders of all experience levels. It gives you the capability to avoid the call and put option selection, and instead allows putting both on a specified instrument.
You aim to utilise put when the value of the instrument has risen, yet you think that it’s going to decrease soon. Once the descent has begun, place a call option on it, anticipating it to bounce back swiftly. You can also do it in the reverse direction. Simply place a call on the assets prices low and put on the rising asset value.
This significantly increases the chance of at least one of the trade options producing a profitable result. If you’re in a volatile market, this simple system could you see turn handsome profits. This works well as a binary options trading 60 seconds strategy, and will also cover expiry times of up to one day.
Bots & Algorithmic Trading
Once you have honed a strategy that turns you consistent profits, you may want to consider using an automated system to apply it. These robots usually rely on signals and algorithms that can be pre-programmed.
The bots then do all the leg work, trading options on your behalf. The plus side is they can make far more trades than you can do manually, increasing your potential profit margin. They can also trade across different assets and markets.
It’s worth investigating your brokers offering when it comes to auto trading and checking for robot reviews. Many allow you to build a program with relative ease. You can use your own entry points that rely on Bollinger bands, RSI/MFI patterns, and moving averages.
However, even when you’ve got your system up and running, you can’t go into trading binary options on autopilot, you need to stay tuned in. If any mistakes take place, you need to be there to remedy the problem. Technical crashes and unpredictable market changes can all cause issues, so stay vigilant.
Many binary option strategies pdfs fail to sufficiently consider time variables. Certain strategies will perform better with specific time options. You may want to look specifically for a 5-minute binary options strategy. Alternatively, trading 15-minute binary options may better suit your needs. So, whichever strategy above you opt for, ensure you take time into account.
Summing Up Strategy
Trading binary options with success rests on finding a strategy that compliments your trading style. So, consider the instrument you’re going to be trading. Then, employ an effective money management system and use charts and patterns to create telling indicators. Also, utilise news announcements to your advantage.
If you’re trying a new fence, gap, hedging, or any other binary strategy for the first time, why not try it on a trading practice account first? This will allow you to address any issues before you invest your own money.
For more detailed guidance, see our strategies page.
Binary options trading 101; immerse yourself in educational resources. As Benjamin Franklin asserted, ‘an investment in knowledge pays the best interest’. The top traders never stop learning. The markets change and you need to change along with them.
To do that, utilise some of the resources detailed below.
- Books & eBooks – There is a whole host of books and ebooks out there that can impart invaluable information on day trading binary options. You can benefit from the binary options trading knowledge of experts with decades of experience. The good thing about a book it is allows you to learn at a pace that suits you. One book that has made binary options trading easy is ‘Trading Binary For Dummies’, by Joe Duarte.
- Video tutorials & seminars – Engaging and easy to follow. There are numerous online video tutorials out there that can walk you through making a trade. With seminars, you’ll also be able to have questions answered and the binary options trading basics explained, plus some brokers offer weekly seminars to keep you up to date with market developments.
- PDFs & instruction guides – These will give you a clear breakdown of steps that you can follow and apply. The best part is you can find plenty online that are totally free and easy to download, whether you’re using Android, Windows, or iOS. The trading binary options ‘Abe Cofnas’ pdf is particularly popular.
- Forums & chat rooms – This is the perfect place to brainstorm ideas with binary options gurus. You can benefit from recommendations and learn in real-time whilst investing in your binary options. You can also swap live chart screen grabs to get a feel for other binary methods and tactics.
- Newsletters & blogs – These are brilliant for keeping up to date with upcoming developments that may affect your markets. Plus, you could hear about binary options competitions (yes, they really do exist).
- Copy trading – This is when social trading networks/platforms are combined with binary trading tools. You can follow experienced traders, analyse their strategies, and then replicate their trades. Check out copy trading reviews before you sign up.
All of the above will play a key part in your binary options trading training. Free trading videos and examples will help give you an edge over the rest of the market, so utilise them as much as possible.
There currently exists no binary options university. So, explanations as to why that option didn’t work can be hard to come by. Keeping a journal with all your binary option trading results in could solve that issue. A detailed record of each trade, date, and price will help you hone your strategy and increase future profits.
Whether you keep it an excel document or you use tailor-made software, it could well help you avoid future dangers. As an added bonus, it can make filling in tax returns at the end of the year considerably easier. A journal is one of the best-kept secrets in binary options, so now you know, use one.
Trading binary options successfully isn’t just about having the right strategy. If you can’t control your emotions you will make costly mistakes. As Robert Arnott stated, ‘what is comfortable is rarely profitable’. When the pressure kicks in, fear and greed can distract you from the numbers.
You need to accept that losses are part of trading and stick to your strategy anyway. If it’s based on accurate maths and careful technical analysis then you have to keep your faith. As soon as you start acting inconsistently your profits will suffer.
As the popularity of binary options grows across the world, regulatory bodies are rushing to instill order. That means where you trade and the markets you break into can all be governed by different rules and limitations.
If you’re day trading binary options in the UK, for example, you will require a license from the UK gambling commission. If you opt for a broker regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), you’ll be guaranteed an extra level of protection. Beware some brokerages register with the FCA, but this is not the same as regulation.
Brexit has brought with it complications to trading regulations. The MiFID II guidelines were set to be implemented across Europe enforcing rules around binaries, however, the UK may not now implement the guidelines. This means the UK is no longer under pressure from Europe to reclassify binaries as financial instruments.
Binary options trading for US citizens is limited by a choice of just two brokers. Nadex and CBOE are the only two licensed options. Fortunately, they are both huge firms offering competitive prices and a range of different assets to trade binaries on.
Rest Of World
In Australia, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) runs the show. If you’re interested in brokers based in Cyprus and Israel, then check they are regulated by CySec. In Dubai and the rest of the UAE, binary options are regulated by the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC).
You can also start day trading binary options in Canada, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Malaysia, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Each has their own regulatory bodies and different requirements.
So, if you want protection, ensure you do your research before you sign up for a binary broker on the other side of the world.
Another important regional distinction comes in the form of taxes. Some countries consider binary options as a form of gambling, such as the UK. This comes with notable benefits. The HMRC will not charge you any taxes on profits made through binary options. However, in the future binaries may fall under the umbrella of financial derivatives and incur tax obligations.
Having said that, if day trading binaries are your only form of income and you consider yourself a full-time trader, then you may be liable to pay income tax. Whilst you are probably still exempt, it is worth seeking clarification.
Outside the UK, tax regulation differs hugely. Binary options in Japan and Germany come with vastly different tax obligations, for example. So, before you start trading seek advice to ascertain whether you’ll be exempt from tax. If not, will you pay income tax, capital gains tax, business tax, and/or any other form of tax?
For more detailed information, see our taxes page.
Can Trading Binary Options Make You Rich?
Although exciting and dynamic, to make a living trading binary options you’ll need to use this page and other sources as guides. Can trading binary options make you rich then? Done correctly, yes it can. There is no question of binary options potential profitably, this is evidenced by numerous millionaires. To get there though, you’ll need the right broker, an effective strategy, and you’ll need to invest in your trading education, by utilising the resources outlined above.
Are binary options legal?
Yes, but regional regulation varies.
In India and Australia for example, binary options are legal.
In the US, binaries are available via Nadex, and perfectly legal.
In the EU, binaries have been withdrawn for retail investors, but it is still possible to trade binary options legally, by professional traders. Certain criteria need to be met in order to be classed as ‘professional’.
Can you trade at weekends?
Yes. There are two ways to trade at weekends. Firstly, forex markets are still open in some parts of the world during the “weekend” in other parts. Binaries can be traded on forex during these times.
There are also ‘synthetic’ markets with some brokers (such as binary.com) but traders should note there is no underlying market with these options. They are ‘virtual’ markets created solely to cater for traders looking to trade anything at all. They are not for sophisticated traders.
Are binary options banned in Europe?
Binary options have been withdrawn for retail traders by the European regulator, ESMA. Brokers not regulated in Europe may still offer binaries to EU clients.
It is also possible for EU traders to nominate themselves as professional traders. This waives their rights to regulatory protection, and means binaries are free to be used again.
Some synthetic markets can also be traded by EU traders, and while the product works exactly as a binary options, they are referred to slightly differently.
Do binary options work on MT4 or MT5?
There are no binary options brokers offering Metatrader integration. It is however, possible to perform technical analysis in MT4 and place trades on a separate trading platform.
Can you use binary options on cryptocurrency?
Yes. The leading binary options brokers will all offer binaries on Cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin. As a derivative, traders will not “own” any cryptocurrency, they will purely be speculating on the price. This does mean however, there is no need for a Crypto wallet or crypto account.
Binary options strategies
A binary options trader is only as good as the strategy he follows. Finding a strategy that works, and fine-tuning it as you go, will focus your trading, build discipline and help ensure that you win more often than you lose.
In this lesson we will introduce you to three of the most popular and potentially rewarding binary options trading strategies.
We will talk you through how and why they work as well as what kinds of assets, time frames and expirations to use. We’ll also provide you with a concrete trading example for each to show you what a trade looks like.
Strategy No. 1: Short-term Boundary In options before big news events
One way binary options can be used is to predict whether the price of an underlying asset will remain within a specified range for a certain period of time or break outside its boundaries. This approach is known as boundary trading, tunnel trading or range trading.
The strategy we will introduce you to now involves making a short-term bet that prices will remain inside a specified range during a time when you think markets will be quiet and asset prices will trade sideways – for example in the ‘quiet before the storm’ often experienced ahead of a major event or news announcement that the market is waiting for.
How it works
In the run-up to major events like the monthly publication of US Nonfarm Payroll figures, the Federal Reserve’s FOMC meetings and press conferences or interest-rate decisions by central banks, many traders choose to keep out of markets, either because they are nervous of the volatility the event will trigger or are waiting to place trades on its outcome.
This often creates a lull in activity and creates a small range of price action that binary options traders can take advantage of.
How to trade the strategy
- First, choose an underlying asset to trade. Currencies tend to work best with this strategy. It’s also possible with other assets like indices or stocks, in which case you might choose to trade in the run-up to company reports, for example.
- Next, try and identify an upcoming event that you think will have a major impact on the underlying asset you have chosen. Our Economic Calendar outlines some of the biggest.
- Double-check which other factors could also affect that market and make sure there isn’t another major new event happening at the same time. This could seriously blow your strategy off course.
- If you are trading currencies, also remember that you are effectively trading two individual assets, each with a life of their own. So apply the step above to each currency in the pair you trade.
- Look for confirmation that the asset is entering or looks likely to remain within a range and form a view on where you think the upper and lower boundaries of this range will lie. Technical analysis offers a number of patterns or indicators that will help. For example, Bollinger bands or the Moving Average Convergence Divergence (MACD) indicators can help you identify a range-bound market. The appearance of certain kinds of doji candlesticks meanwhile can indicate a trend is about to reverse or that volatility will pick up and the price will break its range, in which case it might be best to avoid this strategy and try another.
- Next, identify the contract type that you will use. You’re looking for a ‘Boundary In’ option – also sometimes called an ‘In Range’ option – with a duration of no longer than 20 minutes and which will expire before the event starts. Not all brokers offer boundary options so make sure you’re using a company that does.
- Price ranges for boundary trades are usually determined by the broker, but occasionally you can choose your own range – pick one strike price above the current price and one below. Make sure the range allows the price plenty of room to move within the anticipated boundaries you identified earlier – you want some leeway. Remember, the tighter the range, the higher the potential payout if you are proved correct, but also the higher the risk that your trade will fail.
- Decide how much capital you want to risk on your trade. Our lesson on money management for binary options will help.
US Nonfarm payroll figures are set to be announced in 30 minutes’ time. The EUR/USD currency pair will be very sensitive to the result and you notice that volatility is low. It’s currently trading at 1.11. Your binary options broker is offering Boundary In options on EUR/USD with a range of 1.109 and 1.113. You buy one that expires in 20 minutes. The market then moves sideways and your option expires with EUR/USD at 1.112 – comfortably inside the range. Your option pays out.
Strategy No. 2: Long-term High/Low options following surprise events
This is a long-term strategy in which you use High/Low options to predict whether an asset price will be higher or lower than a specified level within a pre-determined time period (usually a number of weeks).
It tends to work well following a major, unexpected news event that you think will have long-term repercussions. This could be a pioneering decision by a central bank, surprisingly good or bad corporate results or even a natural disaster.
How it works
When an important news event takes markets by surprise it can trigger some big price moves in underlying assets that are directly affected by the event. If the event looks likely to have a real, fundamental impact on assets that will last for some time it can trigger the start of a long-term price trend.
For example, if war broke out in a major oil-producing region and threatened a big chunk of global crude production, this would usually be positive for oil prices. While crude oil prices would probably jump straight after the news as the market priced in the shock, they may continue to rise – albeit more slowly and steadily – for several weeks as production was actually taken offline and the conflict perhaps even escalated.
Similarly, if the central bank of a major economy announced a big or unexpected interest-rate cut, the currency of that country could enter a prolonged downward trend.
Binary options traders can take advantage of these longer-term trends by forming a view on how far they think prices will rise or fall and how long the trend will continue. They can then use a High/Low option to bet that prices will be higher or lower than a certain point on expiry.
How to prep the strategy
- Unlike Strategy 1, this isn’t a strategy where you can pick an event in advance and plan your trade around it. Rather, you have to act fast in the aftermath of an unexpected event.
- Your first job therefore is to pick one or two underlying assets to specialise in and really get to understand them well. It can help to choose underlying assets that you have some special interest in. For example, if you have worked in a specific industry you might choose to trade shares of companies in that industry or one of the commodities it produces. If you have lived abroad or have family ties with a different country, you may have a more indepth understanding of what affects its currency.
- Because this strategy is long term and involves a simple directional bet, a solid grounding in fundamental analysis is essential before you place your first trade. Apply fundamental analysis to the assets you have chosen to trade so that you understand in advance what are the biggest drivers behind its price, what other assets it is correlated to and what kind of events would be negative or positive for its price.
- Some basic chart work is also essential. Dig out charts that show you how markets behaved following a range of major events in the past. Study what happened to the price of the asset you trade.
- Before you place your first ‘real’ trade, it is also advisable to practise a few times with a demo account. Surprise events aren’t uncommon in financial markets, so simply wait for the next one and then place some dummy High/Low binary trades to experiment with the strategy. Even trending prices experience some volatility that could throw an otherwise winning trade out of the money if you don’t allow enough wiggle room for the price. Practice will help you learn how much to give.
How to trade the strategy
- This strategy relies on a high degree of certainty that an event will create the directional move you are betting on. So as soon as an interesting event occurs, double-check that it is strongly correlated with the asset you trade and big enough to produce the long-term move you need.
- Double-check also which other factors could affect the asset you will trade and make sure it isn’t simultaneously being impacted by another major news event or other head-winds.
- Although fundamental analysis is your best friend with this strategy, you might also want to apply some technical analysis to confirm that a trend is underway before you enter your trade.
- Next, identify the contract type you will use. You’re looking for a High binary option if you think the event will trigger an upward move or a Low binary option if you think it will trigger a downward move. Most brokers offer High/Low options.
- Now choose the maturity and strike price you want. Your broker will probably determine for you which are available. This is a long-term strategy so go for an expiry of at least a week or two, making sure that the trend has time to develop but not leaving so much time that it fizzles out. As with Strategy 1, you also have to leave room for unexpected volatility that could knock an otherwise successful trade out of the money right at expiry. This is perhaps the hardest part of the strategy to master.
- Decide how much capital you want to risk on your trade, remembering that the trade is generally higher risk – with a higher potential payout – the further the strike price from current prices. Our lesson on money management for binary options will help.
Japan’s central bank makes a surprise announcement that it will act to weaken the yen in the long term, for example by selling the currency or lowering interest rates. You now try to identify a currency pair comprising the yen and another currency that is currently fairly strong. You opt for EUR/JPY and buy a High option that expires in three weeks. When the option expires three weeks later, the yen has weakened against the euro and your trade pays out.
Strategy No. 3: Short-term Breakout strategy using previous day’s highs and lows
With this strategy, we again use High/Low options. This time however we are betting that if an asset price breaks through its previous day’s high or low, the price will then experience a large short-term push in the same direction.
How it works
The strategy hinges on the concept of support and resistance. These are levels that, in the case of support, a price struggles to fall below or, in the case of resistance, it struggles to rise above.
Technical analysts have observed that when a price does breach either of these levels, it often suddenly picks up momentum and moves further and faster in the direction of the break.
This is usually because a lot of other traders – range traders in particular – use support and resistance levels to set stop losses so they can automatically exit trades as they move out of the money. A surge of fresh orders often also enters the market at this point, pushing the price further in the same direction.
Binary options can take advantage of this phenomenon by keeping track of the highest and lowest points a price reaches within a single day. The following day they then wait for it to touch these levels again.
If, for example, the price breaks through the previous day’s high (its resistance level), a binary options trader would buy a High option with a short maturity of typically five minutes to bet that the price will be higher when the option expires.
If the price breaches the previous day’s low (its support level), the trader would buy a Low option, again with a short maturity, to bet that the price will be lower when the option expires.
How to trade the strategy
- First, choose an underlying asset to trade. Because this strategy depends on trading having paused overnight, avoid 24-hour markets like foreign exchange. Indices, shares or commodities tend to work well with this strategy.
- Next, identify the previous day’s high and low. You don’t usually need any complex indicators for this – it should be clear from a simple price chart.
- If prices have ‘gapped’ overnight and the opening price on the morning of the day you will trade has already broken through the previous day’s support or resistance levels, do not use this strategy.
- This strategy relies on fast action, so prepare in advance what option you will use. It tends to work best with short time frames, so you want a short-term option with a five-minute expiry. Use a High option if the previous day’s High/Resistance level is breached, and a Low option if the Low/Support level is breached. If you use Japanese candlestick charts, it’s a good idea to wait for a second candle to form that confirms the breach and lets you know there is decent momentum forming.
- As before, decide how much capital you want to risk on your trade. Our lesson on money management for binary options will help.
Germany’s DAX30 index achieves a high of 10.800 and a low of 10.680 on Monday. On Tuesday morning at 10.30am, it breaks the 10.800 level and quotes at 10.803. You buy a short-term High option with a five-minute expiry.
At 10.35am, the DAX30 quotes at 10.823 and your option expires in the money.
So far you have learned that:
- there are 3 common strategies to trade binary options: a short term ‘Boundary In’, a long-term, surprise event, and a short-term Breakout strategy that uses the previous day’s high and low
- these strategies are based on real market dynamics and they repeat over again across different markets
- you can apply any of these strategies with the right practice and preparation
Copying of trades in binary options. How it works?
Copying of binary options trades is an automatic receiving of signals by the trader from successful professionals and opening positions on them. It would seem that it is just enough to find a successful trader and to repeat his actions or take the least successful trader and open opposite positions. In practice, the strategy of social trading carries no less risk than the trust (PAMM) management. How copying of trades works, what are its pitfalls and how to minimize the risk, read on.
How copying of trades in binary options work
It may seem that the trades of successful traders is the simple way to profitable trading. The main thing — to choose the right trader. But in practice, this strategy is no less difficult to implement than technical analysis or advisors. Copying of trades is possible in two ways:
- with the help of a special service (the most famous of them — Zulu Trade);
- using the service that represents the company (if such service is provided).
Zulu Trade works as follows. The subscriber goes through free registration for the service, opens an account with a broker from the list, replenishes the deposit. The social trading market is represented by hundreds of traders. When creating your own portfolio, you can select open mode position, to limit the risks, etc. you can choose one or several traders.
The service offered by the broker, represents an opportunity to copy the trades from their analysts or traders. Trader, in case of connecting the subscriber, receives a commission for each transaction or a percentage of his profits. The brokerage company earns on the spread, the subscriber — on a good trade.
Brokers offering services of auto-copying of deals:
- Verum Option. Has an automated system Profit Follow. Verum Option provides instant copying (transferring positions) from any trader. The advantage of auto-copying from Verum Option — the speed of the transaction to 1.5 MS, which is one of the fastest;
- FinMax. Offers a “Social radar.” The service is free, allows you to select up to 4 providers;
- Expert Option. Offers semi-automatic operation mode — the subscriber decides to open the proposed position or not.
Problems of copying of trades:
- successful repetition of trades is possible only when it is absolutely identical. And it’s not only about the asset or expiry time but also on the amount of the bid and deposit;
- repetition of transactions should be extended. Each manager has a valid loss percentage. Once you are in the wrong band, you can lose your deposit and trade interest, then a trader will continue to work;
- slippage. One cannot guarantee the opening of trades of the trader and subscriber at the same time. Enough to be late for a second, that the subscription will not work. The reasons for the slippage — problems with broker or platform;
- inaccurate quotes of the asset. Quotes from different liquidity providers may vary. And if a trader opens a position on quotations of New York stock exchange, and the broker of the subscriber uses the quotations on the liquidity of the London stock exchange, the results on the same signal can be different.
And that’s just the problem of the technical side, there is also the human factor, which prevents to copy trades.
The pitfalls of social trading
This tool could be called ideal for beginners and lazy ones, if it were not serious pitfalls:
- ZuluTrade is often criticized for the fact that the platform has no control of successful traders. If we analyze the curves of the deposit more than half of managers, it appears that they use the trade without stops or martingale. That is, tactics that are considered high-risk;
- fake recommendations on entry to ZuluTrade market is another problem, which has been criticized on the forums. Professional accounts should be referenced to MyFxBook with the right to receive investment password. In fact the strategy of managers appear either optional trades on demo accounts, or even drawn. And from the “drain” of the deposit earns broker;
- lack of strategy from signals provider. Brokerage company often does not check the account manager, who may be a scammer. It is enough to open at random a position on demo account, and then there are those who subscribe and pay a fee.
How to choose a reliable signals provider
A few tips on how to obtain reliable recommendations for market entry:
- to choose a trader from those who are working at several brokerage firms and has earned a reputation as a good manager;
- to go to the supplier directly and ask backtest, investment password of MyFxBook etc.;
- to focus on the profitability of the strategy, and on indicators maximum drawdown, the ratio of profitable to loss-making positions, risk management.
Summary. Social trading is a good tool in the hands of a professional who knows how to analyze the market. Novice traders are poorly versed in the problems of duplication of positions, because often make mistakes. Tips for beginners:
- work exclusively with demo account. Auto backup is not a way of easy money, and one way of learning from more experienced colleagues. Analyze profitable strategy, try it to build something of your own;
- take advantage not of auto-copying but trading signals. Grosl Trader tool gives up to 90% good trades. Every signal you can check by the technical tools;
- search for just “Your” broker with a platform and a liquidity provider as the source signals. List of brokerage companies can be found here.
The Best Binary Options Broker 2020!
Perfect For Beginners and Middle-Leveled Traders!
Free Demo Account.
Get Your Sign-Up Bonus Now!
Recommended Only For Experienced Traders!